TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) has issued a new regulation to protect the interest of pre-paid mobile subscribers who constitute an astounding 96% of entire mobile subscriber base. The salient points of the regulation are summarized below:
- * To make sure that the prepaid consumer is aware of the actual charges being levied, mobile operators are requested to inform the consumer through SMS or a flash message the details including amount deducted, duration of the call, data usage, balance available.
- * Consumers can get the details of his tariff plan, available balance in his account and any other details regarding Value added services from the mobile operators free of charge.
- * Itemized bill details (usage during a specific period) was available only to the post-paid customers so far. From now on, Pre-paid customers can also avail this benefit by paying an amount not exceeding Rs. 50. The itemized bill should reach the consumers within 30 days from the date of request.
- * If a customer is using a premium rate service, operator should alert the consumer via an voice alert before such requests/services are delivered.
- * Whenever a pre-paid customer enrolls for a value added service, he should receive a confirmation SMS mentioning the details of the service including charges, validity period and a procedure to unsubscribe from the value added service.
- * Whenever a customer subscribes to a pre-paid service, he should be provided with a Start-up Kit (SUK). The kit will contain SIM Card, mobile number, abridged version of citizen’s charter (of complaint redressals)
- * Vouchers offered by operators should be standardized. Currently, Operators offer three different kinds of vouchers such as Pre-paid plan voucher, Top-up Voucher and Special Tariff Voucher. The plan voucher will have red colour band, The top-voucher will have green colour band and the Special Tariff voucher will have yellow colour band.