Total 3G connections in India to reach 400 million by 2015

Wireless Intelligence, a Mobile Market research firm has published a report about the 3G growth rate in India. And what do they predict? They say, the total 3G connections in India would reach 400 million by the end of 2015. That’s right, 40 crore 3G connections in another 5 years or a 30% penetration in 5 years time. The study predicts that 80% of the 3G connections would be powered by WCDMA/HSDPA technology and the remaining 20% of the 3G connections would be powered by CDMA2000 1X and CDMA2000 1x Ev-DO Rev. By 2011 end, all the mobile operators in the country would have rolled out their 3G services. By the end of 2011, the 3G market share will look like show below. Reliance Communication and Tata Teleservices will lead the pack with a market share of 39% and 30% respectively. While the state owned BSNL and MTNL will have 10% each. The remaining operators would be sharing the remaining 11% market share. However, by the end of 2015, Wireless intelligence predicts that the marketshare equation would have changed and will look like show below. Bharti Airtel, Reliance Communications, BSNL and Vodafone will lead the chart with a market share of 18%, 15%, 13% and 13% respectively. This projected marketshare reflects the existing market share of 2G connections. india-3g-chart 2011-03-03-india-3g Indian mobile operators have already shelled out huge sums of money to secure the 3G licenses. Now they have another uphill task of setting up the necessary infrastructure. And still they cannot price the 3G services exorbitantly high that no one buys. This is a very very long-term investment-heavy business and the players with deep pockets will come out with flying colours.

Facebook Comments