Use original batteries and chargers
This one is probably the root cause of majority of the incidents. Using a low-quality third party battery is straight away a no-no. The same applies for cheap third-party chargers. Often, these have low-quality components that can lead to overheating, and in some cases even fire. If you have no choice but to replace either of these two components of your smartphone, then make sure you use original ones from the brand, or offerings from reputed companies if the former is not available. After all, your life is more precious than a few bucks.
Don’t expose your phone to heat
Never leave your phone in places where it may experience extreme temperatures. The PCB inside the device is extremely sensitive to ambient temperatures, and you’ll do more harm to it if you leave the handset in places where it may experience abnormal temperatures... such as inside a parked car. The problem escalates even higher if the phone is charging. All this can lead to overheating, which can then damage the health of your battery, or worse, lead to combustion or explosions.
Ensure proper ventilation
Quite a few of us charge our smartphones overnight. Although modern day batteries are well protected against problems like overcharging, it is always better to charge the phone when you can take quick action in case something goes unplanned. That said, if you still charge overnight, make sure the phone gets proper ventilation. Putting the device under the pillow and blocking normal air flow might be the last thing you want to do. Technologies like fast charging can also make the device quite hot, and you need to ensure the phone gets enough air to cool down.
Don’t let the battery drain to zero
It’s a misconception that you need to charge your batteries when they are completely drained and charge them all the way up to 100 percent every time. Nowadays, most smartphones use Li-Ion batteries which work best when they are neither completely full nor completely empty. In fact, charging the phone when it reaches 40-50 percent battery level is one of the best ways to ensure battery health. Make sure the battery level doesn’t go down to zero too often, as the batteries can get damaged by low voltage.
Don’t charge a wet phone
Splashed some water on your smartphone, or made a call in the rain? Don’t put your smartphone to charge right away. Water and electricity don’t go very well together, often leading to corrosion and short circuits that are undetectable to the naked eye. Before you charge your smartphone, make sure it has completely dried out, including the ports. As an example, despite being water resistant, the Samsung Galaxy S7 doesn’t allow users to charge the smartphone, unless the micro-USB port has dried off.
Replace a damaged battery immediately
If your smartphone witnessed a bad fall recently, it might have catastrophic results on its battery, even though you cannot notice much difference on the outside. If you have a removable battery, it is best to check for any dents on the battery, and replace it if you find one. Moreover, a swollen battery is one of the earliest signs of something going wrong inside. It is best to visit the nearest official store and get your phone checked if something like this happens.