Out of the two launches in the form of iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C by Apple, its evident that iPhone 5S is the company’s flagship smartphone taking forward the legacy of iPhone 5. But, the main question is what exactly has changed in the new iPhone and should you buy one-
|Dimensions||123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm||123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm|
|Weight||112 g||112 g|
|Screen Size||4 inches LCD display||4 inches LCD display|
|Screen Resolution||640 x 1136 pixels||640 x 1136 pixels|
|Pixel Density||326 ppi||326 ppi|
|SoC||Apple A7||Apple A6|
|RAM||Not confirmed by Apple||1 GB|
|Storage||16/ 32/ 64 GB||16/ 32/ 64 GB|
|Rear Camera||8 MP iSight Camera with Dual LED arrangement||8 MP iSight Camera with LED flash|
|Front Camera||1.2 MP||1.2 MP|
|Cellular Network||2G/ 3G/ 4G||2G/ 3G/ 4G|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n||Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n|
|OS||iOS 7||iOS 7 (upgrade to be launched on 18th September)|
As we have come to know the fact that the ‘S’ upgrades don’t go cosmetic changes. Keeping in line with the trend, iPhone 5S has same metallic body of iPhone 5 in terms of dimensions and weight . Though, Apple has introduced a newer color of Gold. The Silver color and Black color (called as Space Gray) variants are also available.
The display of both the device are also exactly same with 4 inches screen having Retina Display.
What’s Changed in iPhone 5S?
1) Faster and Power Efficient Apple’s next generation A7 chip with 64 bit support.
2) A M7 Coprocessor working with A7 to track sensory data like Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, etc.
3) 8 MP iSight Camera featuring a 5 element lens with 1.5 microns sensor and f/2.2 aperture.
4) Camera with True Tone arrangement with dual LED to give natural image.
5) The camera supports slow-motion video recording of 720p @ 120 fps.
6) Touch ID sensor uses Fingerprints to authenticate the user for unlocking the device as well as iTunes purchases.
Bottomline- Should you upgrade?
If you are craving for newer iPhone to replace your iPhone 5, then the 5S is a good option. It might not have bigger screen size, but it does feature a faster processor, better camera and fingerprint sensor. However, that’s not enough as the phone does not have any ground-breaking feature which would compel us to suggest you to get the iPhone 5S.
Another important thing to note that with these new launches, Apple is discontinuing the iPhone 5, but will continue selling three generations old iPhone 4S.