Each month, if not days, there are slew of phone launches from International and Indian handset manufacturers alike. But, how do we know whether they’ve been able make a dent in the consumer’s mindset? Moreover, these devices are not only competing for mind share (and eventually market share) with launches happened in the same month, but even the devices which were launched many months ago. So, we decided to take a look at the searches done by more than 2.5 million users on our website in the month of June and list down top 20 devices. Here are our findings-
Complete ListLet’s see who else was able to make it to the list along with The Winners- * Spec Score of each device has been algorithmically calculated based on it’s specifications.
Brand Perception Matters
- In terms of brand following, Samsung rules the roost with 7 devices out of 20 partly because of offering a device at every price point and size. Not so surprisingly, it’s closely followed by Micromax with 5 devices which has been building up its brand recognition and device portfolio aggressively. The prime example of increasing affinity towards Micromax’s devices can be seen with Canvas 4 which even before it’s launch created considerable amount of buzz to make it reach to position 8 in our list.
- While we may say Nokia is doomed with WP OS, it’s brand pull is still intact with 3 Lumia devices finding their place in the list.
Android leads as the OS of choice
- Android is hitherto leader in terms of OS, but that might be because most of the manufacturers are using it, instead of iOS and WP which are being used by iPhone and Nokia Lumia (there aren’t any notable devices from other manufacturers) respectively.
Smartphones penetration is growing
- Many believe that feature phones are here to stay due to their low price, but the data suggests that people are skewing towards smartphones at entry-level as well. This list has only one device available at sub Rs. 5000 range- Galaxy Star (Position 14). But, if this trend continues and more manufacturers come forward providing devices at such low price-points, we may see rise of smartphones in the low-range as well.
Tablets with Voice-Calling functionality
- Surprisingly, in between phones, one tablet was able to find its place in this Top 20 list- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (Position 13) and what’s even more surprising is that there are more powerful devices in this price range like Nexus 7. It might be because of the voice calling feature available in the tablet making it a good option for a spare calling device, which even we felt in our 7 days with Galaxy Tab 2 experiment.