Though the mobile industry have been bombarded with thousands of manufacturers, but Nokia still holds to be the largest mobile manufacturer till date. The mobile pundits clearly expects a huge comeback of the Finnish mobile giant with the launch of Nokia N8, which is also assumed to be the iPhone killer. Well, thats a different story altogether. Today we will take you through the interesting history of Nokia. Don’t worry, History is not always boring & I will not take long. History of Nokia:
- The company started in 1865 as a paper mill in southern Finland. However, the name “Nokia” was derived from the banks of “Nokianvirta river” where the second mill was built a few years later.
- Nokia then entered into rubber & paper works. In 1979, it merged with Finnish television maker “Salora” to form a radio telephone company “Mobira Oy”
- In 1984 Nokia launched first portable phone which was usually installed in cars. It introduced the first handheld device in 1987 & the first GSM mobile in 1991. On July 1, 1991, Finnish Prime Minister Harri Holkeri made the world’s first GSM call, using Nokia equipment.
- In 1992 Nokia’s first GSM phone was launched to public. The model was named “Nokia 1011” based on the date of launch. i.e. 10th of November.
- In 1994, the first satellite call was made using Nokia GSM handset and by 1998 Nokia became a world leader in mobile phone.
- Nokia also has the credit to take the internet on mobile. In 1999 it launched the first WAP enabled handset, “Nokia 7110”.
- In 2002, Nokia launched its first 3G phone followed by N-gage in 2003 & N-series in 2005. Year 2005 is remarkable as the company sold its billionth phone in this year.
- Today Nokia also take the throne of world’s largest Digital Camera seller as the sell of camera equipped mobiles have crossed the sale of independent digital camera.