Technology has shortened distances between us and our near and dear ones. Unlike earlier, where it took days and months to talk to each other (through letter and postcards), nowadays everyone is just a call or message away. But, that’s still not enough, because calls and messages don’t enable us to share our emotions of happiness or sadness. That’s where video calling helps- it lets people chat by seeing each others face. While its not a recent option, since it was already available in computers through Skype and even came on mobile phones with VGA front-calling camera. But, with the advent of 3G networks in India and wonderful quality of front-facing camera, video calling has certainly became great option. Read on to find mobiles which fit your budget-
Between Rs. 5000-Rs. 10000
Micromax Canvas series have been garnering good reviews and giving a good competition established players like Samsung and Sony by giving same or better features at lesser price. Micromax A115 is the latest offering in Canvas series with USP of 3D view without the need of any glasses. The front-facing camera of the smartphone is 2 MP.
The smartphone has a huge 5-inch capacitive display allowing 3D view with 480 x 800 pixels resolution. It is powered by 1 GHz dual-core processor accompanied by 1 GB RAM. It has 4 GB on-board storage which is expandable up to 32 GB via microSD card. For shutterbugs, it offers 8 MP primary camera with LED flash and a secondary camera. For connectivity, it offers Dual SIM support, 2G/3G network, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS. It is fueled by 2000 mAh Li-ion battery. It runs on Android JellyBean (version 4.1.2).
The Good and The Bad
+ Attractive Pricing
+ Powerful configuration
– 3D view can cause strain to eyes
Between Rs. 10000-Rs. 20000
Samsung Galaxy Grand is targeted towards user who wants to get a phablet with good combination of hardware and software at an affordable price. It offers a 2 MP front-facing camera.
Galaxy Grand sports a beautiful 5-inch TFT display having 380 x 800 pixels resolution. Under the hood, a 1.2 GHz dual-core powers the device. In memory department it has 1 GB RAM, 8 GB internal storage which can be extended up to 64 GB via microSD card. It has 8 MP rear camera with LED flash and a front camera. Connectivity-wise, it has Dual SIM support, 2G/ 3G network, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS. It has a 2100 mAh battery. The device runs on Android 4.1.2 (JellyBean) OS.
The Good and The Bad
+ Superb Display
+ Good hardware
– Pricier than Indian brands
- Karbonn S5 Titanium which offers 5 inch display (540 x 960 pixels), 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, 1 GB RAM, 4 GB internal memory (expandable up to 32 GB), 8 MP rear camera, 2 MP front camera, Android 4.1, 2000 mAh battery
- Micromax Canvas A116 HD have 5-inch display (Full HD resolution), 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, 1 GB RAM, 4 GB inbuilt storage (extensible via microSD card), 8 Megapixels primary camera, 2 Megapixels secondary camera, Android JellyBean OS, 2100 mAh battery
Between Rs. 20000-Rs. 30000
Samsung’s Galaxy S series is one of most-selling series of devices in the world of smartphones. Though, Samsung has introduced successor to Galaxy SIII, it still packs punch with its features. It has a 1.9 MP front camera.
Galaxy SIII flaunts a 4.8-inch AMOLED display with resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. It’s powered by 1.4 GHz quad-core processor and 1 GB RAM. It has internal storage of 16 GB, which can be increased via external storage of up to 64 GB via microSD card. In camera department, it have 8 MP autofocus camera with LED flash and a front-facing camera. It offers several connectivity options like 2G/ 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and NFC. The device is fueled by 2100 mAh Li-ion battery. It runs on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich platform (upgradable to Android JellyBean).
The Good and The Bad
+ Amazing display
+ Nice features like Smart Stay and S Voice
– Plastic body and similar design of all Samsung phones
Above Rs. 30000
Sony’s smartphone in premium category have been getting good reviews because of its hardware and durability factor. It offers a 2 MP front camera.
Xperia Z sports a 5-inch capacitive touchscreen with Full HD resolution. It is powered by quad-core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm processor with 2 GB RAM. It has 16 GB internal memory which can be expanded up to 32 GB via microSD card. It has 13 MP rear camera with LED flash and a secondary camera. On connectivity front, it has 2G/ 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC and GPS. It is fueled by 2330 mAh non-removable battery. The smartphone runs on latest Android OS- 4.1.2.
The Good and Bad
+ Big display and high pixel density (441 ppi)
+ Dust and Water resistant
– The smartphone is a Fingerprint magnet
- Samsung Galaxy S4 offers 4.99 inch AMOLED display with Full HD resolution, 1.6 GHz octa-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal storage (allows external storage via microSD card), 13 MP rear camera, 2 MP front camera, Android 4.2.2, 2600 mAh Li-ion battery
- BlackBerry Z10 have a 4.2 inch capacitive display (supports Full HD), 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB Internal memory which is expandable up to 64 GB, 8 MP primary camera, 2 MP secondary camera, BlackBerry OS 10, 1800 mAh battery